Tuesday 27 September 2011

Networking wars !

I'm bored!
I'm bored of the "Facebook is better than Google plus because.."
"Google plus is better than Facebook because.."
"Facebook is dead..." "Google plus is stillborn..."

They're different, OK!
They will compete, yes. But competition is healthy. Competition is good. Competition doesn't mean that there has to be just one winner.

Currently I use both. I use them in different ways and for different reasons. That may change, it may not. It depends on whether the underlying reasons for the different uses change.

Facebook:
I have 180 'friends' on Facebook. Every one of them is either someone I have personally met or is a member of my extended family. I wouldn't dream of 'friending' anyone I didn't know.
I use FB as a light touch way of keeping in touch with these people and their lives.
I'm interested in them as people since their lives and mine have touched in some way in the past.

Google plus:
I have 195 people in my circles (and I am in the circles of 134). Very few of these have I ever met. I am interested them primarily because of what they have to say. A large proportion of my interactions on G+ are more like professional networking than 'social' networking.

Could/would I do my 'social' networking on G+? Possibly. Probably.
Could/would I do my 'professional' networking on FB? Very unlikely.

(That last point bears some examination. I have some 'friends' on FB who my relationship with is purely 'professional' but in the absence of anything else, FB was a way of establishing a more personal connection. If/when those friends find their way to G+, I am likely to cull them from my 'friends' list - sorry!)

There is some overlap, some people who are FB friends in my circles. However I suspect that a great number of my FB friends may never move start using G+ (first mover advantage). So I am likely to continue using both. If all my FB friends started using G+ then that might be a reason to abandon FB. But will my sister stop using FB in favour of G+? Will my mother ? (I'm amazed she started using FB in the first place!) My wife ? Unlikely.

So what about Linked In? Or Twitter ?
Well Linked In just feels too impersonal. It's more like a place to put your CV and achievements than to engage in conversations with people. (One of the things I'm hearing a lot from G+ users is about the high level of engagement it seems to engender.)
Twitter? Well I never really took to Twitter. Again, too impersonal and not engaging. I hardly used Twitter at all as a 'tweeter' and not much more as a 'consumer'. But since G+ I hardly use it at all (although I'm sure there are some for whom it will continue to have a role - just not me)

So, people, stop all the "The king is dead, long live the king" nonsense and let people work out for themselves how they want to use these terrific tools.

And if you've never used FB/G+, don't knock it until you've tried it.



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Nick O'D said...

I agree, both with your sentiments, and with the way you use FB/G+. However, unrealistically I would prefer an alternative to FB for friends and family for two reasons:

First the privacy aspects of FB - their T's&C's give them joint IPR in anything you put up there. They collect and sell, (or make available to paying subscribers) information that you put up there and increasingly share information with your "friends" that you haven't chosen to share.

Second, this unsolicited or not specifically authorised sharing is cluttering up my news feeds. And as Euan Semple says, if you filter too much, signal is lost together with noise.

It used to be an understood courtesy not to offer too much inappropriate information. You didn't come into the office with holiday snaps and try to share pictures of your beach holiday with all of your work colleagues. But Facebook already tries to share every game you play, and with announced changes, may well share a lot more crap.

Ultimately as a shrewd commentator observed, on the web, "if you are not the paying customer, you are the product" and Facebook makes me feel this keenly.

But until enough of my family and friends feel the same way, it is the least worse way of accomplishing the "light touch way of keeping in touch" that you mention