Wednesday 26 August 2009

I've read this really good article ....

OK, so by now you will have got the message that I'm a big fan of sharing useful and interesting stuff I find on the internet. I've started a Diigo Group for KIN members to which I and a few others now regularly share bookmarked websites

Seated man reading a bookImage by National Media Museum via Flickr

. (See Kin Tags and Bookmarks)
But I've been in a bit of a dilemma when it comes to whether or not to Bookmark individual Blog posts. I bookmark Blogs which I read (regularly or occasionally) which I think would be of interest to KIN members. But should I bookmark individual Blog Posts? By their very nature, many (but not all) individual blog articles can be somewhat ephemeral and transitory in nature. So if I am using the Diigo group to see what has been shared on a specific topic (using tags), would I want to see a bunch of short, ageing blog posts which may or may not still be relevant. Well, it's a judgement call. There will be some Blog posts which are so good that they 'deserve' to be bookmarked and I will do so. But what about those posts where I think, 'that was good - other KIN members might also like to read that' but which I don't feel warrant bookmarking?
For posts such as these, I've decided to make use of a feature of Google Reader (my RSS reader of choice) which allows you to easily share blog posts that you find. I've set up a page in the KIN memberspace called Phil's recommended reading with three sections: a) Blog posts of interest to ET SIG members, which is a subset of b)all Blog posts I share and (for good measure) c) all my Diigo bookmarks (whether shared to the KIN Diigo group or not).

So are there any other KIN members who would like to share the blog posts they find with everyone else but are not sure how? Reply to this post and we'll try to find a way to get you started.

2 comments:

Nick O'Doherty said...

Hi Phil

As you have already pointed out Bright Beehive uses social bookmarking quite extensively. I wondered why you chose Diigo as aooposed to say, Delicious.

philridout said...

Hi Nick,
Having polled our members it seemed there was no preference for using a specific social bookmarking tool.
The overriding reason for choosing Diigo was that it allowed us to set up a group to which only KIN members could contribute bookmarks - the idea being that KIN members are already members of a community and are likely to be interested what other KIN members are finding and bookmarking. And for those that may wish to, it is also easy to set it up so that any bookmarks saved to Diigo are automatically cross-posted to delicious.

But now that I am using it, I find there are many other good things about it - best illustrated by this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqfJsmjcOs&eurl